Every year, I celebrate Thanksgiving differently. Some years, my mom and I would get invited to a friend or neighbor’s house for a turkey meal while like last year, we stayed home and did something special and completely non-traditional.
This Thanksgiving, we are doing things differently again. My mom has invited a few of her friends to her “new house” (it’s actually my house but who cares) and have a big festive meal. She had spent last weekend shopping for food and stuffing the refrigerator until it could no longer close. Before my guests arrive, I would like to give thanks.
1. I am thankful for the opportunity to return to my hometown in China. I am thankful I got to reconnect with my family after so many years. I am thankful to get to visit so many awesome places in China.
2. I am thankful my aunt for letting me tag along on the road trip. I got to see Canada, South Dakota, Montana, and Yellowstone (again).
3. I am thankful for all the new hiking spots I hiked this year. I wish I could squeeze one more hike before the winter to see if there are many pine cones on the forest ground. Pine cones are an indication of whether or not we will have a mild or cold winter. The more pine cones on the ground, the colder winter. I’ve been exhausted though because of work. Perhaps I should make a goal to hike more next year.
4. I am thankful for having a job even though the bosses bring me misery at time. It’s still a job with a steady income and I do not have to worry about not having the money to buy food or pay my mortgage. I used to worry about that a lot because there was a time when there’s next to no income in the family and we were often on the verge of being evicted. So I am thankful I have a better financial situation.
5. Lastly, I am thankful for all places I traveled within Utah this year. I think 2017 has been my “exploration” year.